16 Nov 2018 Fun Facts about the San Juan Islands
Our San Juan Islands Bike Tour travels around this gorgeous archipelago in Washington state. The San Juans are known for their iconic Pacific Northwest landscapes and wildlife. The horseshoe-shaped Orcas Island, one of the main isles, is home to Moran State Park’s old-growth forest and Mt. Constitution, the highest point of the archipelago. San Juan Island is distinguished by the lively seaside town of Friday Harbor and Lime Kiln Point State Park, an orca-whale lookout. Here are some fun facts about this amazing vacation destination!
- The shortest international flight in the U.S. only 12 minutes from Friday Harbor to Victoria, BC
- There are no traffic lights anywhere in the islands. People hardly even honk.
- New National Monument Status (1,000 acres) – 2013
- Kenmore Air, the largest seaplane operator in the country, is based here
- 4 iconic lighthouses on public lands; three open to the public in summer
- Washington State Ferries is the largest ferry system in U.S and also connects the Islands to Canada
- San Juan County has more marine shoreline than any other county in the country (408 miles)
- San Juan County is the first county in the country to ban jet skis
- San Juan County is considered an “Arts Hot Spot” by the Washington State Arts Commission
- San Juan County is the first county in the U.S. designated as a voluntary “Leave No Trace” area
- Friday Harbor, San Juan Island: National Trust for Historic Preservation Destination of Distinction
- San Juan County residents are highly ranked nationally and statewide for quality of life, longevity, and physical and mental health, according to recent national studies
- Roche Harbor’s business license pre-dates Washington statehood. The company, in continuous business since 1886, is now a destination resort offering a spa and five lodging choices—from historic to luxury.
- The “Gourmet Archipelago” has four shellfish farms, three vineyards, three breweries, one cidery/distillery, and six tasting rooms featuring local and Northwest wines, local beers and locally distilled spirits. Enjoy farm feasts and festivals, in a thriving culinary arts scene
- San Juan Island National Historical Park commemorates peace over war during the “Pig War” crisis—the last time the U.S. and Great Britain were engaged in a territorial dispute.
To learn more about taking a cycling tour in the San Juan Islands, or call our bike tour specialists at 1-800-272-4141!
Wilderness Voyageurs, 103 Garrett Street, Ohiopyle PA 15470