Never picked up a fly rod? Looking to improve your cast? Want to learn about european Nymphing? Our instruction and classes are customizable for your level of fishing and area of interest.
Looking for a great way to learn the ins and outs of fly fishing? Our half and full day classes are the answer. We will examine the theory and practice of fly casting and provide individual casting instruction at each student’s pace. In addition, we will review equipment and knot tying, trout habitat, insect hatches and fly selection.
Our instructional offerings:
- Intro to Fly Fishing Weekend A weekend-long class that will give you the techniques and knowledge you need to start fly fishing on your own. We will examine the theory and practice of fly casting and provide individual casting instruction at each student’s pace. In addition, we will review equipment and knot tying, trout habitat, insect hatches and fly selection.
- Women’s Fly Fishing Weekend A women-only instructional weekend that will teach you the basics of fly-fishing — learn casting, equipment, knot-tying, fly selection and more!
- Wade Fishing & Float Trips The Youghiogheny River offers a classic big river fishing experience. Our skilled guides use oar rigs to maneuver you into those hard-to-cast places. They will spend the day sharing their expertise and knowledge, teaching you casting techniques or perfecting your existing skills. We offer day-long fishing trips on two sections of the Yough River in Ohiopyle, and bass fishing on the Bottom Yough.
- Steelhead Fishing Clinic Join our professional fly-fishing guides to learn techniques from casting to fly selection and how to fish various water conditions. This is four hours of expert guidance that will help you put more fish on the end of your line during Steelhead season!
- Scouts Fly Fishing Merit Badge If your girl and boy Scouts are looking for a fun experience as well as a merit badge, the Wilderness Voyageurs Scout Fly Fishing Merit Badge Program is the way to go. Within the boundaries of Ohiopyle State Park, you can choose from more than 25 miles of fishable water. Rainbow, Brown and Brook Trout or Smallmouth Bass; you decide what fish you are chasing for the day.
On the stream, you’ll learn about reading water and presentation as well as catching, playing, and releasing fish. Our classes are held along the banks of the Youghiogheny River and its tributaries. Fishing in this beautiful mountain setting with the expert guidance of our friendly staff makes for a truly memorable experience.